Hobbit-Themed Nursery!

4/19/12

Although I don't quite have the energy and stamina between my bouts of morning sickness to get anything real accomplished, that doesn't mean I haven't stopped planning! My husband and I are pretty big Tolkien fans (this is an understatement for my husband!) and we decided the "theme" of our baby's nursery would be the Hobbit. Since we don't know the gender yet (and whether we'll find out or not is still an on-going debate!) yellow and green are very hobbit-y colors anyway, so it works out well!

My sister is an artist and has told us she would make one or two "re-creations" of some of Tolkien's artwork from the Hobbit for the walls. But that's just the beginning. I have so many little crafty ideas for the nursery. The one I started working on today (sort of) is a mobile for the crib. And by working on it I mean the pieces I ordered came in the mail and I started playing with them! Ha!

My idea for the mobile kind of freaked out a friend of mine when I told her, because she thought it was too scary. What do you think? My thought is too have three trolls around a fire. Yes, yes I know this does sound scary, but I got three Ugly Doll key chains in the mail, and I think they make perfectly cute little trolls.
I got three in yellow, aqua and green, and they are each slightly different. I plan on going to a thrift store and buying a used mobile and re-doing it. I want to find one that has a little night light in the middle, which I will cover and make look like a little fire. And the other piece that came in the mail today was a do-it-yourself music box, which I attempted to make play The Road Goes Ever On. This aspect is not proving to be what I expected. Although I have complete confidence in programming it to play the right notes, it's manual (meaning you have to be cranking it the whole time it plays) and I'm not sure I'll be able to incorporate the mechanical looking thing into a cute crib mobile. We'll see. 

I'm trying really hard not to dive in too much into decorating the nursery just yet. For now, we're still using it as a spare room and we'll have a ton of cleaning and purging to do before we can really start. (Yard Sale time!) But I really can't wait! I just want this baby to come so badly!

6 comments:

  1. I love your idea for the mobile and don't think it's scary at all :) I can't wait to see what you come up with! I will be working on the first painting next week. how big do you want these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. whatever size you want! I like the size of the dragonfly one I have, but it's okay if it's smaller. You're the best sister ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary is what we make it. YOUR children will not fear trolls, nor dragons, nor direwolves. All of those things will be "normal." Much, much, MUCH love, hugs, and girly squeals!
    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this nursery theme and your crafty ideas, woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats sounds sooooooooo cute! i cant wait to see it! this page is super adorable! :D Love ya!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the theme, wasn't sure about the picture of the troll shown above for a newborn (being too scary with the fangs and all) but I showed it to Madden who gave the thumbs up... and then followed it with a million questions about trolls and such. Gotta love 3 year olds. Lol.

    ReplyDelete